As a kid, the banana nut and strawberries and cream oatmeal packets were always the ones I’d eat first. Here is a healthy, grown-up version that is still very child and kid-at-heart friendly!
I love making oatmeal from scratch as it allows full control over exactly what ingredients you put in it! How much or little sugar (what kind of sugar!?) and healthy add-ins like the walnuts, chia, and flax seeds. I love the roasted ground flax Costco usually has in store. The roasting adds so much nutty flavor. I highly recommend getting it if you see it!
Not into old-fashioned oats, no biggie, just follow the liquid ratio and cook time for whatever style oats you prefer. Don’t like to add milk? You do you! Want all milk for liquid? More power to you. This recipe is completely modifiable to your liking
1 1/4 cups Old-Fashioned Oats
1 1/2 cups Water
3/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Coconut Sugar (more or less to taste)
1 pinch Kosher Salt
1 banana- peeled, 1/4” sliced, and quartered
1/4 tea Vanilla Paste (I don’t actually measure!)
1/4 cup Caramelized Banana Vinegar
2 tbls Ground Roasted Flax Seed
1 tbls Chia Seeds
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- Combine oatmeal, water, milk, sugar, and salt
- Bring to boil over med-high flame on the stovetop, stirring occasionally.
- Add banana pieces and vanilla paste and cook 6-8 mins until oats are tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Take off heat, add Caramelized Banana Vinegar, and the remaining ingredients.
- Any leftovers can keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days and are delicious cold or reheated!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: breakfast
- Method: boiling
- Cuisine: breakfast
Keywords: oatmeal, banana, nuts, oats