Looking for a guilt-free Orange Chicken Recipe that still satisfies your cravings? This recipe incorporates so many orange components, from the zest, and juice, to the orange vinegar that is made entirely from fresh oranges, not an infusion. It doesn’t have the thick, crispy breading of a fried version (something I just won’t do at home), but is fabulous for a pan-fried version! No added sugar or salt either.
I am a sucker for a good Orange Chicken but hate all the salt and junk that’s in the fast-food version. Yes, there are a fair amount of steps that go into making it, but IMO, the results are definitely worth it! I doubled this recipe to have a good amount of leftovers to justify the effort.
I absolutely love lemongrass and galangal. It really rounds out the flavors for a robust, balanced, and healthy dish! I really like having the powdered version on hand to add to recipes. No, it’s not as vibrant as fresh, but the convenience makes it worth it to me.
About that, Orange Vinegar
While you could simply use White Distilled Vinegar in place of Orange Vinegar, we recommend it because the whole point is to boost the citrus flavors in this easy healthy recipe as much as possible. As a side note, our Orange Vinegar is produced using San Diego grown and gleaned oranges in partnership with Produce Good. A local non-profit that helps prevent food waste and food insecurity. A portion of the proceeds from this bottle goes back to help those in need.
Easy Healthy Orange Glazed Chicken Stir-Fry
- 1 skillet
Chicken for Stir-Fry
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup sake
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest from one orange
- ½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup Kismet Orange vinegar
- 2 Tbls soy sauce
- 1 Tbls hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp Lemongrass Powder Asian specialty market
- ½ tsp Galangal Root Powder Asian specialty market
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves medium cloves garlic minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
- Avocado oil or preferred high heat oil
- 1 cup roasted unsalted cashews toasted in dry skillet over medium heat until golden brown, about 6 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds broccoli florets cut into bite-size pieces (about 1 1/2-inches tall and 1-inch wide), stems trimmed, peeled, and cut on bias into 1/4-inch-thick slices
Make Marinade for Chicken
- Combine soy sauce, sake, and water in medium bowl; add chicken and stir to break up clumps. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.¼ cup soy sauce, ¼ cup sake, 1 cup water, 1 pound boneless
Make Dredging Mix
- While chicken is marinating, made dredging mix.
- Combine sesame oil, cornstarch, flour, and orange zest in medium bowl until smooth.2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil, 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder, 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour, ½ teaspoon grated orange zest from one orange
- Drain chicken in strainer; press out excess liquid. Toss chicken in cornstarch/flour mixture until evenly coated.
Make Orange Sauce
- For Orange Sauce, whisk orange juice, vinegar, soy, hoisin, cornstarch, and seasonings in small bowl; set aside.½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice, ¼ cup Kismet Orange vinegar, 2 Tbls soy sauce, 1 Tbls hoisin sauce, 1 tsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, ½ tsp Lemongrass Powder, ½ tsp Galangal Root Powder
- Combine ginger, garlic, and 1 tablespoon oil in small bowl; set aside for stir frying broccoli.1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger, 2 cloves medium cloves garlic, Avocado oil or preferred high heat oil
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large, nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking; add half of chicken to skillet in flat, even layer.Avocado oil or preferred high heat oil
- Cook, without stirring, but gently separating pieces, until golden brown on first side, about 1 minute; turn chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned on second side, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer chicken to clean bowl. Repeat with additional 2 teaspoons oil and remaining chicken and empty skillet to cook broccoli.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to now-empty skillet; heat until just smoking.1 ½ pounds broccoli
- Add broccoli and cook 30 seconds; add 1/4 cup water, cover pan, and lower heat to medium-low.
- Cook broccoli until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain off water.
- Add garlic/ginger mixture to skillet, increase heat to medium-high and cook, mashing mixture with spoon, until fragrant, sticky, and golden brown, 30 to 45 seconds,
- Return chicken to skillet and toss to combine.
- Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and evenly distributed, about 1 minute.
- And cashews and stir to combine. Transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with scallions, and serve.1 cup roasted unsalted cashews
Shop Our Gourmet Pantry!
Try Out a New Recipe
Roasted Delicata Squash
Healthy Orange Chicken Stir-fry
Let’s Call It… Cocktail #6
Strawberry Lucky Duck – Make This Gin Spritz!
Some of our Favorites!
Caramelized Apple Vinegar
Black Garlic Balsamic Vinegar
Orange Spice Olive Brine
Black Garlic Michelada